Last year I drastically shortened my list so that we could save money on these cards. My goal one day (when my daughter is older), is to go back to handwriting a message, but for now the standard "personalized" cards will have to do. To save money I only sent out 25 holiday cards. With my Shutterfly promo code, it cost me $21 last year.
This year, I was going to do the same thing, however, it came out to be over $60 (and yes that was with my promo code)! Holiday cards have gone up drastically in price. I was having to pay over $2 for each card since I was buying so few cards. For a moment I considered not sending cards at all- after all they only get thrown in the trash!
Then I had an idea! I know I'm not the first person to come up with this, but I was SO PROUD of myself. My holiday cards this year, cost me less than $4!!!!
Our trick to getting holiday cards under $5:
1. Go to Shutterfly and pick out your favorite Holiday card
2. Personalize the card - go through all of the steps!
3. Click to "preview" design
4. Do a print screen of the preview
5. Open an editing software like microsoft publisher, or paint- paste in your photo and crop to be just right
6. Go back to Shutterfly and click on prints- upload your saved photo of the holiday card
7. Order 4x6 prints for $0.15!!!!
You'll have to buy a pack of envelopes in addition to this, but do that at Target. 25 cards comes out to $3.75! I ended up splurging this year and getting 35 cards! I spent $5.25 on beautiful prints!
Grandparents, aunts and uncles are also getting some special prints included in addition to the holiday card.
We saved so much money on this. Such a huge win! Now, my goal is to still write a nice message on the back. Maybe my 2 year old can help me! :)