Links to Amazon on this blog are affiliate links*
Somewhere along the way, Babywise got intertwined with cry it out methods. When people hear Babywise they often think of sleep training. The reality, however, is that Babywise does NOT advocate for or against cry it out methods. Babywise is a parenting tool that is focused on prioritizing full feeds, and promoting healthy sleep. Does it recommend teaching your baby how to self soothe? Yes. Does it say how you need to go about doing that? No. Natasha spoke yesterday about how Babywise needs to “work for you”. This is a classic example of how you need to choose a method that is right for your needs and your family. Today, Carrie is not only discussing what the Babywise book does and does not say about cry it out methods, she is also providing some insight into the self soothing recommendations, and different CIO methods and options that you have at your disposal!
“Nowhere in the “On Becoming Babywise” book does it tell you that you have to do CIO to be successful with Babywise. In fact, the book doesn’t even give you a guideline for sleep training at all. It does say that “it is an aquired skill that is enhanced by routine” (pg. 55). But the heart and meat of Babywise is a Parent Directed Feeding Plan and the Eat Wake Sleep Cycle… NOT sleep training.”
Don’t forget to come back this week for more Babywise Myth Busters! We have a five days with 8 fabulous myth busting posts for you to read!
Here is the schedule along with the topics for each day:
Links will go live on the day specified below…
– Monday: Valerie at Chronicles of a Babywise Mom- Myths Versus Realities of Babywise
– Tuesday: Katrina at Mama’s Organized Chaos- Babywise Isn’t Imposing a Schedule, It’s Learning the Ideal Schedule
– Wednesday: Shea at The Moses Home- How Schedules Keep Us Flexible, Not Rigid
– Wednesday: Natasha at Let’s Be Brave- Babywise Works For YOU, Not The Other Way Around
– Thursday: Carrie at Wiley Adventures- Babywise and Cry it Out (how they do/don’t go together)
– Thursday: Kimberly at Team Cartwright- Babywise and Breastfeeding (does not diminish milk supply)
– Friday: Cole at Twinning Babywise- The Misconception that Babywise is just Sleep Training
– Friday: Emily at The Journey of Parenthood- Using Babywise Isn’t Impossible with Multiple Children
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
- Click this link--> to follow our journey on Facebook
- Click this link--> to follow our journey through weekly emails and never miss a story!