When I started looking at the pros and cons of purchasing a toddler bed versus a twin bed, the answer was obvious which one worked best for our family! The truth is, each family is going to have a different preference, and different immediate needs. There are positives and negatives to both!
Switching from crib to toddler bed
– The mattress fits! This obviously saves money in the moment!
– It is smaller than the twin bed. If you are limited with space, this could be exactly what you’re looking for. This will obviously leave more space in the room for play.
– It has built in rails! No need to buy a separate item.
– You are spending extra money in the long run. Your child will outgrow the toddler bed soon, so you’ll have to buy a bigger bed at some point.
Switching from crib to twin bed
– Your child will fit in it for many years to come! You will save money by going straight to the twin bed and avoiding the cost of the toddler bed.
– You can fit on the bed for story time or snuggles!
– Extra comfort. With the added space your child can have their stuffed animals on the bed, and they can move around and get comfortable.
– One less transition. Change can be hard and also exciting. Depending on your little one they may want one less change.
– It doesn’t come with rails. Depending on the age that you are switching your child to this bed, you may have to invest in an inexpensive rail for a short period.
– The crib mattress doesn’t fit. This means spending more money upfront (bed, bedding, mattress, rail).
– It has a larger frame than the toddler bed. If you don’t have the space for it yet, this could be an issue.
To us it was an easy choice. We have the space for a twin, and we didn’t want to waste money on buying a toddler bed that was only going to be used for a short period of time. We saved a lot of money by buying the bed frame, rail and mattress used. We only had to buy bedding and a box spring at full price.
In the recent survey I ran on the blog, it seems that everyone is very split on this choice!