Links to Amazon on this blog are affiliate links*
It’s Babywise Friendly Blog Network week! We are all writing on the topic of “fears”. See below for the full schedule of topics and links from all of these wonderful ladies!
Today, Kim over at Team Cartwright is discussing how to distinguish between real and fake fears. Is your child only afraid of something at night? Perhaps they are using a “fake fear” because they simply don’t want to go to bed… Check out Kim’s discussion of this issue below.
“Fears. We all have them. Sometimes they are rational, sometimes
not. Fear has evolved as a safety mechanism, and it can be a helpful
emotion. I don’t want my kids to be afraid of anything, but I know the
development of fears is normal and a sign of intellectual and emotional
growth. But there are occasions when my son tells me that he is scared of
something, and, well, I’m just not buying it. I respect my children’s
feelings and want to help them work through their fears. And part of that
means weeding out what is a real fear and what is not. Here is how I work to
distinguish between real and fake fears.
Why Fake Fear?
The first question that needs to be addressed is why would children have
fake fears. Well, the truth is I don’t think a lot of young kids know
that they are faking their fear. They aren’t setting out to
deceive. But that fear that is manifesting isn’t the issue. It is a
symptom of the real problem. I want to suss out the issue and address that, not
the fear. And if a true fear is emerging, then that needs to be taken
seriously and addressed.“
Read the full post here…
It’s Babywise Friendly Blog Network week! We are all talking about the topic of “fears” this week. Here is the full schedule: (Links will be live on the day scheduled)
- Monday: Valerie – What To Do When Your Child is Scared of the Dark
- Tuesday: Katrina – How to Ease Your Toddler’s Fears
- Tuesday: Natasha- 9 Ways to Teach Kids Bravery
- Wednesday: Christine – 3 Powerful Ways To Conquer Your Toddler’s Irrational Fears
- Wednesday: Carrie – Managing Fears at Bedtime
- Thursday: Kimberly – Real vs. Fake Fears: How To Distinguish Between the Two
- Friday: Emily – How to Help Prevent Childhood Fears
|Click here to join the MOC Village|
?Don’t forget to leave a comment below! I love hearing from readers! Tell me what you thought of the post, share your experiences, and even drop a topic idea down for me!
- Click this link--> to follow our journey on Facebook
- Click this link--> to follow our journey through weekly emails and never miss a story!